Preached on Sunday July 31, 2016
Speaker: Johnny D. Gentry, III
Psalm 56:12, 66:13; Ecclesiastes 5:4-6
NOTE BOX: 1. Guest Recognition / Reception 2. Married & Unmarried Night 3. Mission Homestead 4. MAN UP! DTS Team[Psalm 56:12]
12 Vows made to You are binding upon me, O God; I will render praises to You, 13 For You have delivered my soul from death. Have You not kept my feet from falling, That I may walk before God In the light of the living?
13 I will go into Your house with burnt offerings; I will pay You my vows, 14 Which my lips have uttered And my mouth has spoken when I was in trouble.[Eccles. 5:2-7]
2 Do not be rash with your mouth,
And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God.
For God is in heaven, and you on earth;
Therefore let your words be few.
3 For a dream comes through much activity,
And a fool’s voice is known by his many words.
4 When you make a vow to God, do not delay to pay it;
For He has no pleasure in fools.
Pay what you have vowed—
5 Better not to vow than to vow and not pay.
6 Do not let your mouth cause your flesh to sin, nor say before the messenger of God that it was an error. Why should God be angry at your excuse and destroy the work of your hands? 7 For in the multitude of dreams and many words there is also vanity. But fear God.
POINT OF CONTACT: American Express Credit Tracker. A credit report is simply a written report of how well you vow & pay. Excellent? Good? Fair? Bad? Or No credit?
- The world uses God’s principles to achieve prosperity better than many children of God do.
- When you are extended credit, it will increase if you pay what you vowed to pay.
- Vowing and paying what you owe to God is His system to extend to you “Kingdom Credit”.
OBJECTIVE: (1) To bring you into proper understanding of vowing & paying (2) To introduce to you God’s perspective on Principle, Pattern , and Power of Vowing & Paying.
→This word is for those who have ever made vows to God saying “Lord if YOU . . . I WILL . . . .”
→ God has kept His part. Where are you in regard to the promise, pledge or vow you made?
PRINCIPLE: (Eccles. 5:4-6) (NKJ) Fear God. Keep your vows. 4 When you make a vow to God, do not delay to pay it; For He has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you have vowed—5 Better not to vow than to vow and not pay.
- Vowing and Paying Should Be Entered Into By Faith Not By Fear
- We like to hold on to the fear factor: “it’s better not to make a vow . . .” which is really to keep from making a commitment or to God. We have not fooled God.
- But interestingly, we all operate freely in vowing and paying for things we want in the natural (mortgage, lease agreement, car note, cell phone contract).
- “It’s better not to have a cell phone than to have a cell phone and can’t pay the bill” seems to be a ridiculous statement when you really in faith for a good cell phone.
- When it comes to God, how come we vow in fear, afraid of what we’ll lose, rather than vowing in faith, encouraged about what we’ll gain?
- Most of our vows to God are made in fear [traffic warrant]. But vow and pay when you’re NOT in a crisis and watch what happens.
- God Is A God Who Vows and Pays
- (Numbers 23:19) 19 “God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? 20 Behold, I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot reverse it.
- God does not commit and then renege.
- (Isaiah 55:10-11) 10 “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, And do not return there, But water the earth, And make it bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower And bread to the eater, 11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
- Increase happens when rain hits the ground. So it is when the Word hits you. God always fulfills what He speaks.
- (Jeremiah 1:5-12) 5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.” 6 Then said I: “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.” 7 But the Lord said to me: “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak. 8 Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you,” says the Lord. 9 Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth. 10 See, I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms, To root out and to pull down, To destroy and to throw down, To build and to plant.” 11 Moreover the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Jeremiah, what do you see?” And I said, “I see a branch of an almond tree.” 12 Then the Lord said to me, “You have seen well, for I am ready to perform My word.”
- Some things God spoke over you in the womb and He’s ready to perform.
- NIV = “For I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.”We should watch over our word to see it fulfilled. We let so much come between us and keeping our VOWS. Not always sinful things.
- Because God Is Faithful You and I Should Be Faithful
- 2 Cor. 1:20 – 20 For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.
- 2 Peter 3:9 – 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
→ God is a God Who Vows and Pays. God can be put in remembrance of His Word
(Exodus 32:13-14) 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven; and all this land that I have spoken of I give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’ ” 14 So the Lord relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.
→ If God can be reminded of His vows to us, we can be reminded of our vows to Him.
→ Vowing Is Not Complete Until You PAY It
→ Giving & Receiving; Seed Time & Harvest Time/ Sowing & Reaping (harvest completes the transaction)
(Jonah 1:11, 15-16) 11 Then they said to him, “What shall we do to you that the sea may be calm for us?”—for the sea was growing more tempestuous. . . . . . 15 So they picked up Jonah and threw him into the sea, and the sea ceased from its raging. 16 Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice to the Lord and took vows.
PATTERN 1: It Is Biblical and Spiritual To Make A Vow In the Midst of a Storm
→ VOW is the Key To Turnaround (16/4/9 – busted with drugs – made a vow)
→ Vow – earnest promise; oath; to give your word or to pledge; a promise that binds one to perform a specified act or behave in specified manner. – HOW MANY OF US MADE A VOW IN A TIME OF TROUBLE?
***God will author a storm that compels you to offer a VOW.
- (Jonah 1:11; 16) “Lord If You Just Get Me Off This Ship” (15)
7 And they said to one another, “Come, let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this trouble has come upon us.” So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah. 8 Then they said to him, “Please tell us! For whose cause is this trouble upon us? What is your occupation? And where do you come from? What is your country? And of what people are you?”
- Sometimes we just want off the ship but don’t want to research why the storm is getting worse
- Am I in a storm because of somebody in my boat?
- Am I in a storm because I AM the somebody on the boat?
- (v.16) They threw the problem overboard; Feared the Lord; Offered a Sacrifice; and made a Vow.
- It Is Biblical and Spiritual To Make A Vow In the Midst of a Storm
- VOW is the Key to Turnaround!!! If you want to turn the situation around, make God a vow!!!
PATTERN 2: VOWING & PAYING is God’s System to INCREASE your Kingdom CREDIT ACCOUNT.
- Vowing and Paying brings INCREASE to your account.
- You have a Heavenly Account.
- ( 6:20) 19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
- (Luke 12:33) 32 “Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- (Phil 4:14-17) 14 Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress. 15 Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. 16 For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account.
→ When I vow and pay, my account / heavenly treasure increases.
→ Kingdom credit score goes up.
→ The world understands, executes & prospers from vowing & paying.
VOWNG & PAYING Promotes Me from Problem to Prosperity / Affliction to Affluence
- (Psalm 66:10-12) “I Will Enter into The House”
10 For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined. 11 You brought us into the net; You laid affliction on our backs. 12 You have caused men to ride over our heads; We went through fire and through water; BUT You brought us out to rich fulfillment (WEALTHY PLACE – KJV). 13 I will go into Your house with burnt offerings; I will pay You my vows, 14 Which my lips have uttered And my mouth has spoken when I was in trouble.
1.(v.13) God has an expectation. He has moved you from affliction to affluence. Go into His house and PAY YOUR VOW.
- Your Wealthy place is not just for you. God has an expectation. It’s not to impress your relatives at the reunion.
- If every member tithed, sacrificial giving would not be necessary. Sacrificial giving is to cover for those who won’t to tithe.
VOWING & PAYING is more powerful than sowing & reaping.
(Job 22:27-30) 27 You will make your prayer to Him, He will hear you, And you will pay your vows. 28 You will also declare (decree) a thing, And it will be established for you; So light will shine on your ways.
→ sowing & reaping = investment & return
→ VOWING & PAYING = dominion; favor
DOMINION: declare a thing (it will be established for you)
→ decree – an authoritative order / declare – to state forcefully
FAVOR: light will shine on your ways.
Decision & Faith vs. Dominion & Favor
- Credit lines. I can call and decree that my limit be raised.
- I called Reliant to decree the power be turned on.
Genesis 28:20 – Jacob’s Vow While In Distress
20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, 21 so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God. 22 And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.”
The Vow In Huntsville, TX.